Chicken & Mushroom Vol au Vents
1 packet (12) Vol au Vent Cases
100g Fresh Chicken Fillets, flaked and chopped finely
100g Mushrooms, sliced
300ml White Sauce
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook the Vol au Vent cases as per the instructions on the package. When cooked remove the tops and set aside. 2. Fry the Mushrooms in the Butter until soft.
3. Stir in the Chicken pieces and White Sauce. Season with Salt & Pepper. Bring to the boil and then allow to cool a little.
4. Spoon the mixture into each Vol au Vent case and replace the lids.
Serve warm or cold. Serves 4.
Herb Crumb Mushrooms
3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
Hand full of finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2tbs finely chopped fresh chives
salt & ground black pepper to taste
200g medium button mushrooms
200g Chestnut mushrooms
lemon wedges to serve
1. Place the eggs into a shallow bowl and lightly whisk. Place the breadcrumbs, parsley,chives and salt and pepper into another shallow bowl. Mix well to combine.
2. Dip 1 mushroom into the whisked eggs and then coat in the breadcrumb mixture, press
the breadcrumbs to secure. Place the crumbed mushroom onto a plate and set aside.
Repeat using the remaining mushrooms, whisked eggs and breadcrumb mixture.
3. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan or wok over medium heat until a drop of batter
sizzles when dropped into the oil. Deep-fry the crumbed mushrooms, in batches for 2-3
minutes or until golden. Remove and set aside to drain on paper towel.
4. Serve the warm mushrooms with toothpicks and lemon wedges.
Variation: Add 2 tsp curry powder to breadcrumb mixture with the parsley and
Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine (serves 4)
400g dried fettuccine pasta
2 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
175ml reduced fat cream
75ml cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
salt and ground black pepper
extra flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
grated parmesan cheese and bread, to serve
1. Cook fettuccine in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, following
packet directions, until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add garlic and
mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms
are just tender. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream, cover and simmer
(do not allow to boil), stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
3. Drain fettuccine and return to pan. Add mushroom mixture and parsley.
Season with salt and lots of pepper. Toss over low heat until well combined. Place on serving plates, top with parsley leaves and serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
10 mushrooms chopped
575ml stock or 2 stock cubes dissolved in 575ml of boiling water
pinch of salt if desired
1 finely chopped onion
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the mushrooms and onion and fry, stirring continually for 5 minutes.
2. Add the flour and stir well. Cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Gradually stir in the stock and milk and bring to the boil. Keep stirring.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, until thickened.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste